Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Into the Wild = Into the Predictable

This is a joke, right?

Unfortunately the book didn't turn into an American classic like On the Road, and the feedback to Chris' actions were met with negativity and not with adulation and youthful yearning that were bestowed on the mentioned book. That's okay. Apparently the sisters' of the now-dead young man withheld a chapter that came before the romanticized bus adventure of their brother: He was abused by his parents.

Like I didn't see this coming. (I didn't, really, but it strikes as too convenient.)

Now I'm not alluding that parental abuse is fine and dandy. I'm not. But the lengths that Chris took to supposedly get away from his parents just doesn't sit right. It's kinda like how LGBT kids run away from home and say the reason why was because their parents rejected them when they probably are having a hard time coming to terms with their kids disorder, so the kid - seeing that parent isn't all "Run into my arms my child where I shall shower you with kisses!" - gets all indignant and cooks up some fantasy that makes them into some victim of narrow-mindedness and oppression. Like I said: convenient.

And I still think what Chris was mightily stupid and selfish; whatever he wanted to prove he massively failed. But hey, can't let character assassination by people like me ruin the memory of your brother, isn't that right sister McCandles?

Chris: "I'm gonna live in a bus in the wilderness to get away from society."
Sisters: "Chris was abused by our parents that's why he lived in the woods."

So which is it?

You'd think Chris would just move away, like any other sane person, to another state or city or maybe two hours away to avoid his supposedly horrible parents. But no, he moved into the Alaskan wilderness.  

No comments :