Saturday, December 20, 2014

Christian movies

I was reading a thread dedicated to Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas on CAF (Catholic Answers Forum) and it made me think what makes Christian theme movies, for the most part, feel like very bad Lifetime Original movies.

These are what I've seen, so far: I thought Fireproof was decent at best; October Baby was quite good for what it was; Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ still remains the cinematic apex of the group besides Ben-Hur to me. Doubt, though not really a Christian film, is also a very good one. I haven't seen Courageous yet (made by the same director who made Fireproof).

I'll admit that I haven't watched many faith based movies so my criticism is more on narrow grounds than one based on a wider catalog.

But still, I have a strong feeling, that many who do make - either direct or script - faith based movies aren't all that talented. Why do so many directors who are, no doubt, very talented tend to be of the secular cloth? Darren Aronofsky, maker of Noah (roughly based of off Noah's Ark and not really Christian as well), directing talent speaks for itself, but he's an atheist (of Jewish background). I don't think John Patrick Shanley (Doubt) is religious even though Doubt is a rough snippet of his Catholic upbringing. 

Again, many of the faith based films that are being made today, if they aren't made by the Aronofskys or the Shanleys of the world, are cheesy - not intentional it seems - so I'm left to conclude that there is a lack of talent in front of the camera and in back. This upsets me because as someone who has much familiarity with movies that come out of Cannes, TIFF, Sundance - basically the more "raw"/"real" indie/Europa fare - I see the stark difference and it's telling. It could say something that I don't want to be true: That those who make such movies, as secular & liberal/progressive as they are, are just innately more talented in making movies than Christians who make things like Saving Christmas. It's like how certain races fare better in (certain) sports. Does this hold true, in the artistic department, for secular & liberal/progressive types? 

What's the deal? Why are most faith based films that I looked at seem quite horrible? Where are the directors, script writers and actors that can deliver a movie that's on the level of The Passion of the Christ year in and year out? The actors don't have to be Christian, but I do think it takes someone who knows the feeling of being an traditional Christian to write & direct a decently made faith based film -- oh and talent, as well.

It kind of reminds me of a discussion about the talent pool for USA soccer & classical music. I was reading that the problem that men's team did not advance as far as others national teams in the World Cup is because of the lack of talent. There is a somewhat strong narrative saying that other sports such as baseball, football and basketball "steal" athletes from soccer that might other wise excel at the sport. I don't necessarily agree, but I do understand where those who advocate this narrative come from. If only a few thousand that might look at baseball. basketball and football look at soccer instead at the age of five the talent gap would be shortened, so the theory goes. (This greatly reminds of the 1% vs 99% wealth distribution that has been touted ... and out of all the sports, soccer. Go figure.)

The same was said about the almost barren land of great modern day classical composers. Those that believed the narrative that many great composers, such as Handel, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin etc, existed during their times was because music - classical to be exact - was the main "thing" to get into. The narrative continues that if many of the talents today, in various fields, such as computer technology (Zuckerberg, Jobs, Gates) and movie making (take your pick from many talented directors) focused on making music - classical - instead we'd have more Handels, Beethovens, Mozarts and Chopins. Again, it's the "other sports 'stole' potential greatness for [insert field that is seeing much mediocrity]." I find this very interesting and even compelling. There might a grain of truth to it, or it might be more than that.

This also makes me think: Is it that movie making, a relatively new medium of art, is just more conducive to debauchery and the narcissism of the human condition? Sculpture and paintings (with writing, be it poetry or novel writing a close third) still remain, to my knowledge, the best mediums that can honestly portray religious themes. Many of the movies that I think are well-made have directors & script writers that, I think, are non-religious. Maybe this is a medium where secular & faith are rightly so divided -- that faith, for all its complexities and wonder, is much trickier to be cinematic, to actually "reach" to the audiences. It just seems that way to me.

Is it that film making might be an inferior medium to broadcast/show/tell a deeply human religious life and events? Or is that the religious who have directing & script writing interests just aren't talented enough to make a film that isn't a cheese fest and its narrative isn't "beating me over the head"? After all, movies tend to be two hours long -- not a very gracious length of time to fit in a script that is about 120 pages double spaced.

It's a complex issue with many factors and many potential theories.

I'm confused on why  this hasn't been addressed before by someone either in the industry (who is a Christian and is as talented as Darren Aronofsky) or someone from the outside looking in (not using the "Hollywood" term to include the mainstream fare that make up the lineup at your local theater).  

No comments :