Monday, May 7, 2018

Cohabitation

I never truly bought into the arguments of why people should cohabitate. One reason is because "it's the next step in our relationship." This is mostly bullshit because it means practically nothing unless it's symbolic of commitment (I doubt it). Some say "it's the next natural thing." Also bullshit. Many couples move in with each other because it's the norm - a norm that really has no basis in its purpose. Now, I can understand moving in for financial reasons since a roommate cuts down the cost, but that's probably the minute number.

Cohabitation is playing house when you're not even engaged let alone married. And yea, I heard the "test the waters" - also bullshit. Testing what waters? How many had a "successful" test and later broke up? How many boyfriends and girlfriends have you been through? How many moved in to only cancel the lease a year later? Can't you live alone and be in a relationship at the same time?

Call me old fashioned but when I seek a roommate I seek someone that isn't my significant other.

I simply don't play house. 

No comments :