Monday, February 1, 2021

Today is the first day of Black History Month in the States.

I just received a notification on my phone from GrubHub, a food delivery application, to support black owned businesses. Given what happened last summer where mobile applications like Uber and UberEats prioritized black drivers and black business owners in order to show support aka virtue signal for the black community, brought upon by BLM riots and demonstrations nation- and worldwide, I will not be patronizing any black owned food businesses for the duration of February. My tailors are Hispanic and Asian. I can make my own fried chicken, mac & cheese and collared greens. The more that streaming channels in the form of Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix and Disney+ promote "black voices," I refuse to click on their ads. 

Then again I never celebrated Black History Month in my life; I was lucky enough to attend schools that had curriculums that taught history without the social commentary. As a non-black or white person, it's a fact that such household don't celebrate Black History Month. In my case there were a couple of reasons. First, I never cared to, and second it wasn't relevant to my professional growth despite me working with many African-American people. I'll read plays and novels written by "black voices" on my own time driven only by my curiosity and not by some outside force encouraging me to. But then again even if I don't I don't think I'm missing out on much. Sorry Maya Angelou - you're not a must in my book. 

No comments :