Friday, March 18, 2016

Fickle. Sensitive.

That's what I think of the people who are so disappointed with Ted Cruz when he said that Donald Trump helped create the atmosphere that happened at his Chicago rally. I'm also a little disturbed by people who said Trump had it coming (and yes, it seems like Trump lied - Chicago policemen have denied that he consulted them when cancelling the event, same with STL policemen).

There are two issues I have with the anti-Cruz and anti-Trump camps in this scenario. The first being those that support Cruz's words (anti-Trump people) by practicing the really sloppy and pathetic logic of "I'm free to attend a rally but that freedom doesn't mean I'm 'free' of not being attacked." What kind of stupid plebeian logic is that? The second are the fickle and sensitive kind (anti-Cruz people) who now resort to "Cruz is nothing to me" after he sorta threw Trump under the bus that Friday night. They then complain his whole support of the Constitution is now a farce. Puh-lease.

Look, Cruz and Trump are rivals. It's understandable why Cruz said what he said (even though I somewhat disagree). He's condemning Trump for his rude comments and arrogant words towards minorities and women in order to make himself look like the better person. Does that make me think less of him? Not really. I think it's a little sloppy thinking, less so than "I'm free to attend but not free to not get punched in the face."

Yes, Cruz should've said that the protesters were out-of-line. They were indeed rude and arrogant, being hypocritical towards Trump's own rudeness and arrogance. He should've called them fascists and punks. Whether or not Trump "deserved" his rally to be treated like that is neither here nor there; the protesters helped destroy free speech that night because they failed to "peaceably assemble." They assembled, they infiltrated the auditorium and then caused chaos.

I side with the people where there to hear Trump speak. They have every right to become angry, and in my eyes the people who acted like punks towards the supporters are closer to deserving spit and kicks. I don't like bullies, especially when they're in the form of The Left. You didn't see the KKK at Obama's 2012 rallies. You didn't see people on The Right constantly interrupting Obama's speeches when he ran for a second term.

The victims of that night weren't the protesters (the protesters are cowards and are overreacting, and I say that as a person who isn't white) or Trump. It was free speech, the city of Chicago and the people who came peacefully to hear Trump's words. I give no sympathy to Trump because I believe he bailed out of concern for his own safety, not the safety of the people who supported him, none to Cruz and absolutely no sympathy to the protesters.

No comments :