Friday, April 28, 2017

'Extreme' Catholic traditionalists vs Theology of the Body.

I've recently learned that some traditionalist circles, some would deem them extremists even, are at odds with Saint John Paul II's Theology of the Body (TOB) and Chris West, a prominent advocate and presenter of the late Pope's famous (or infamous, if you're an 'extreme' trad) work.

Now I think TOB is quite good when it concerns sex and sexuality, and being someone who recently is taking his faith more seriously I was rather disappointed to learn that TOB is not liked at all in some circles in the traditionalist strain. I sort of view this like when I started actually cooking for myself. I was learning how to be more independent and learning through trial & error. I got better at certain dishes and I found out I was good at making various breakfast items. I learned that when it came to lunch my creativity lacked. I also learned that making dinner was plain fun.

Imagine thinking of what type of meat you'll purchase from the butcher to make that awesome dinner recipe Gordon Ramsey made in a mere 5 minutes on yotube. He's your "man". Soon after you come across non-meat eaters -- vegetarians and vegans. They say meat is bad and that one should abstain from meat entirely if you truly care about animals and not add to the deteriorating health of Mother Gaia (cow farts and whatnot). Now if you follow their advice you can't make that Gordon Ramsey dinner. In fact, you cut out a good portion of all the dinners you want to try. You feel deflated. You're just sharpening you cooking skills and a group of people say nope, sorry, put that brisket back. That brisket is murder. That brisket is an injection of poison to your body as well as to the earth. What? you think your yourself. You buy the brisket anyways. The non-meat eaters then throw around all these arguments, some paragraphs long (much longer than this post), that seem sorta right yet sorta off. What? That's how I feel when I think about the 'extreme' trads and their issues with TOB.

Like the non-meat eaters, those who are vehemently against TOB haven't said explicitly why it's a bastard work besides "ew modernity." I don't like modernity but c'mon. You got to  give me more than that. They write long paragraphs, typing much, but saying very, very little.

I'm taking TOB and I'm gonna enjoy it and proclaim it's rather good. If any Christian or Catholic asks about it or if the topic of sexuality and family comes up I'll recommend it.

No comments :