Thursday, April 27, 2017

The new "green juice": vegetarianism/non-meat eating. Sorta.

If you haven't been paying attention to the health world of the masses green juice was the "it" thing for sometime. Then studies came out and said that green juice, while good in its intentions, isn't all that when it comes to consuming nutrition and getting the best out of your greens and veggies.

There's a current post on facebook about a "weekday vegetarian" (he eats meats on the weekends) encouraging others to eat less meat and its health benefits. This was a TED Talk. Surprise. Now, I'm all for eating less meat - more so a moderation of it - because I do believe too much of any type of food is harmful. But I'm also not an advocate for full blown non-meat eating unless your diet necessitates it and/or religion forbids eating meat. This is why I give little credence to moral and ethical reasons for not eating meat purely on a secular level. It's not persuasive. It's horrible, horrible philosophy. It's rather shallow even.

One of my favorite brain farts of a non-meat eater:

"We should consciously think about what we wear and eat. Where are clothes come from. Where are food comes from."
"Can I ask you a question that veers off the non-meat eating path?"
"Sure."
"So, what about no premarital sex?"
"Well that's just crazy."

In the comment section of this facebook post there were many who lauded this move and shared their experience with cutting out meat and experience a "jump" in life. One man posted that he lost 13 pounds in two months by simply cutting out meat. I replied I lost about 16 pounds in the same amount of time while I ate meat - every single day. I ate about 4 ounces of chicken breast, a half a cup of rice, a cup of veggies for dinner. I limited my calories to about 1500 than the usual 2000. Add in an at least 45 minutes of exercise six out of seven days and I was losing about two pounds each week. Keep in mind I only ate meat for one meal and it was a limited portion. This is partially why I eye roll when I read enthusiastic stories of eliminating meat and experiencing some new form of self. 

Of course no one is immune to the pathetic philosophy of "do no harm to animals" which follows no meat eating. Fellow Christians and Catholics have express this and I just shake my head.

But hey, I have written about how I feel about the non-eating community that base their choice on "no harm" and ethics and saving the earth from cow farts. I think they're damn idiots. I follow Temple Grandin's thought on animal killing: do it humanely as possible.

I say to my fellow millennials and Gen-Y peers: It's sad that you're an SJW. It's also sad you're a non-meat eater. It's even more sad you're a non-believer. But I can work with non-believers. I can at least reason with them to see my point. The discussions are at least interesting. Non-meat eaters and SJW's? Cult-esque.

Now I'm going to go to Walmart and buy myself a 6lb bag of frozen chicken breasts. I need the protein to recover from my daily runs. It'll taste quite good with some barbecue sauce on the side. Oh, and I can't forget the white rice. 'Cause I'm Asian. Identity politics.

UPDATE: This is the response the poster responded back with -


So I assume you were exercising in addition to your meatless diet. If true, the difference between my diet and lifestyle and yours was that A) I wasn't eating healthy and B) that I lacked exercise. I was a chubby gnome. But you said you went meatless and lost weight. I said I didn't and lost weight as well. Then you throw in the moral and environmental scare cards and say no one's telling anyone to not eat meat. Um, I think you're strongly implying that people shouldn't eat meat for the reasons you give. As for meat not being a need but a luxury in terms of a diet? Isn't that a tautology regarding every person's diet on earth?

"There is simply no logical counter argument."

You've made no logical counter argument against killing animals for food.

No comments :