Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Ex-atheists and/or liberals seem to garner "fans" / Combox #4

Not fans of say the traditional definition, but "fans" of the "You're an idiot" kind who post snark and "Man, you totally owned him" when a fellow objector decides to point out weaknesses of an argument, and they tend to show up on on select issues.

A good example of this ex-atheist turned believer is ex-lawyer turned science fiction writer John C. Wright.

In my readings and observations the science fiction community is vehemently secular; people who have interests in computer science and coding tend to overlap this community as well. It's a community that is seemingly bright, and that's a good thing. No doubt that in his conversion from staunch atheist to now practicing Catholic, Wright has hurt some hearts and made a handful of people feel betrayed. I'm talking about the atheists and the non-conservatives who liked his writings, or at least liked it enough to say "Well that didn't outright suck."

And most of the these detractor enjoy anime. Why is that? It's like the people on tumblr or reddit. The internet is truly wonderful (no, really).



Most particularly are Wright's mini-essays on sexual morality and his criticisms of modernity - or leftism - that garner these bitter souls. They mostly do not come baring a sense of sincere earnest to understand, but are filled with snark. I do not know if their minds have a worthwhile rebuttal since they do not represent it, so I am left to view their snark as nothing more than pure irritation that someone "use to be like them" but now, in their minds, "a tool."

Another ex-atheist turned believer is philosophy professor Edward Feser. In Feser's case it's usually his comments on libertarianism and Gnus aka modern atheists that garner the trolls - at least from the posts that I've come across.

Now ex-Catholics turned non-believer or ex-conservatives turned (modern day) liberal? Such people don't garner these 'special' posters. Odd, really. It's like the "backwards" people tend to deal with rejection better. I'll speak for myself: When I hear believers turn secular I feel sadness in my heart. When I learn a prominent conservative turned (modern day) liberal I do get somewhat upset, but I'm usually eager to hear their reasons why and if I do decide to respond I leave a point-by-point comment and leave it at that. I don't care so much to engage in foolery that is the combox phenomenon filled with (modern day) liberals. As someone who has "been there done that" as an ex-liberal, I'll say confidently that people who are salivating at modernity engage in circular reasoning and BS "move the goal posts" moves.

No comments :