Thursday, September 11, 2014

Follow Your Dreams...Eh, Not So Fast.

I'm not sure if "follow your dreams" is a new slogan. What I'm sure about is that it, and other slogans like it like #YOLO, "do what makes you happy", have been the cry for a certain set of people. They're either one of the following:

a. A person who blogs full time and "is his own boss" - mostly blogs about fashion, food, travel or movies

b. a person wanting to have a career in the entertainment world - be it an actor, singer or dancer

or

c. a person who gains money from making YouTube videos - mostly reviewing beauty products, electronics or clothes (e.g. sneakers)

And there's the fitness YouTube people (whom I'd put in a.) who probably opened up their own gym, and now are giving advice on the biomechanics of doing a skull crusher.

What do all three have in common? All are unconventional jobs and all intersect at the "Me!"

It's without fail. Go on a YouTube vid about some celebrity giving a commencement speach and the combox is filled with this sh*t. Usually the (celebrity) speaker is going on about "Haterz gonna hate" or "You're gonna change the world!"



I was watching one channel were the guy went on a tangent how he was self-sufficient at the age of 13, that no one gave him any money and that he was homeless once. What was his "job"? Reviewing sneakers. He was a "sneaker head." And this was a video about "How to find cheap sneakers." 

Look, I'm genuinely glad that he survived his homeless period and is now financially stable. 

Another channel was a weight lifting channel. The host seems sorta intelligent, but ALWAYS goes on a tangent that he tries to make philosophical even though he fails every time. It is clear he is reading too many New Age BS books or some humanistic philosophers.

The people who bake & cook: I don't have much to say about them because they really just stick to their channel's theme without any modern day self-masturbation. They just want to make awesome cookies filled with sugar and dinners filled with carbs. I like them for this. It's like a consolation prize for not making it on the Food Network. Good for them.

Do people in corporate say "follow your dreams"? Not that I'm aware of. They're professionals. Do people in the medical field say "follow your dreams"? Not that I'm aware of. They're too busy saving lives and telling aspiring medical students to get straight As and to not f_ck up on the MCATS. Do people who work in construction, or any "we make stuff" vocation, say "follow your dreams"? Not that I'm aware of. They're too busy actually fixing & making things, while looking out for the apprentice so he doesn't cut off his hand. How about those who enter religious life? Not that I -- Yea you get it.

People who want to make a living making YouTube videos or want to enter the entertainment world? All. The. Damn. Time.

All The Damn Time.

If you're entering the entertainment field it will be filled with personality disorders, narcissism and massive insecurities. You're going to have a self-esteem booster "when the world gets you down"; cause, ya know, it's always the world's fault. Be prepared for the "Us vs Them" card being pulled as well. 

"Man, the world doesn't get us."
"It's about what you feel and what your gut tells you."
"Thank god for us artists; the world would be such a dreary place." (Film director Steven Soderbergh said something like this in his Oscar speech)

People who are in front of a camera, or careers that are about 'expression', tend to wear this slogan on their sleeve (if the moment is right). Everyone thinks they're the next Madonna, Audrey Hepburn or whatever art icon. I don't think they want to be "that famous and so and so" -  I think they genuinely believe that they possess some sort of unique talent that all 'normal' people don't have, or some sort of courage that is absent in all the 'average' people. 
  
They don't like average or normal (which doesn't mean mediocre, contrary to popular belief) so they scoot away from it because it's "above them." This leads to bizarre contempt for middle America. 

The least obnoxious situation I can think of are the people on America's Got Talent. The current season finalists are not only entertaining, but also quite talented. Realistically, every single one of them won't have a a career in their chosen specialty, but it's a chance for them to literally shine (without doing rather degrading acts for "art"). After the show life goes on for them. 

UPDATED: A few more thoughts added on and grammatical errors corrected. 

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

In general, I agree with you. However, being an aspiring member of the entertainment industry (actor, stage/tech crew member, theatrical producer & game designer), I feel compelled to offer a different take on "Follow your dreams". My (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this way of thinking) reason for being in the entertainment industry is to bring enjoyment to others. My dream is to make people happy. That and to bring awareness to certain issues by means of theatre.
In the end, however, I have to agree with you. Too many celebrities saying "follow your dreams" "#YOLO" (etc.) and not knowing a d*mn thing about actually going about doing it without those phrases.

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent post.

I would tell people this: it's okay to follow your dreams, but if you do, remember that actions have consequences. Just remember that if you follow your dreams and DON'T succeed, you're going to be in a Hell of a lot of trouble.

The choice is yours, and I'm not saying you won't succeed. Just make sure you recognize the risks.

GoldRush Apple said...

>>My (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this way of thinking) reason for being in the entertainment industry is to bring enjoyment to others. My dream is to make people happy.

I share the same thoughts. The least I can do is tip my hat to such aspiring entertainers.

In my experience, at least with some mediums such the indie/Europe movie making, that type of mentality is rare.