Friday, October 17, 2014

Enjoy the sounds until you pay attention to the lyrics (and the music video).

I heard "Take Me to Church" by Hozier on the radio for the first time today. I didn't catch all the lyrics but I liked the melody, that is until I went on youtube and saw all of the lyrics, made sense of them and later viewed the music video.

My lover's got humour
She's the giggle at a funeral
(1)
Knows everybody's disapproval
 

I should've worshiped her sooner
If the heavens ever did speak
(2)
She's the last true mouthpiece
 

Every Sunday's getting more bleak
A fresh poison each week

'We were born sick,' you heard them say it


My Church offers no absolutes.
(3)
She tells me, 'Worship in the bedroom.'
The only heaven I'll be sent to
Is when I'm alone with you—

 

I was born sick, (4)
But I love it
Command me to be well
Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen.


[Chorus 2x:]
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
(5)
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
(6)
Offer me that deathless death (7)
Good God, let me give you my life



My break-down:
1. The glorification and hero-worship of the "rebel."
2. Sunday's homilies are poison and shouldn't be trusted. Only the rebel should.
3. Bodily/sexual desires are the only absolutes that we know of; obey them.
4. Relish the "sickness" in the faces of the "prudes" for this shows courage
5. People who attend mass are like Pavlov's dog.
6. Who killed the confessor? Was the confessor killed with the candle stick? Was it with the sharpened knife? (Hozier, that's Islam, you Irish git.)
7. The talk of hell does not scare me. Your death doesn't pertain to me.
 
The music video mostly shows a fictional story about two men supposedly in the closet to their town besides to each other - they are 'together.' They're caught walking alongside each other by a man who's in a gang. One day the man who saw them brings his gang to the boyfriend's house, kidnaps him and drags him into the forest where they threaten him. The other homosexual finds out about this and desperately tracks his boyfriend down, but it's too late. The captured man is seen being kicked and beaten in the distance; his lover covering his eyes in horror.

Like such a scenario for the music video wasn't predictable, especially for a song & video meant to speak out for LGBT "rights."

It reminds me greatly of "Sacrilege" with model/actress Lilly Cole, but this time instead of focusing on homosexuals it was about Cole's character sleeping around with most of the townspeople, later getting married to a man who's oblivious to her "bad girl" nature; every man in the pews she has slept with.

The parallels between the two narratives are alike, so I suggest to watch both and draw comparisons. 

Here's a couple of comments; the brilliance astounds me.



Will I keep listening to the song? I'm not sure. I do like the melody and I suppose this is one of those songs that I can "listen to" without paying attention to the lyrics.

It's the same thing when I heard Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" in that I really liked the melody and the lyrics. You're probably saying to yourself "Er, Smith is a homosexual as well." I know. But I didn't know that until after I learned about the singer/writer. The entire time I thought the song was about a guy singing about a girl (as did others).

What's interesting about "Stay With Me" is that, in some way, it's kinda respectful to religion. Smith is wearing earrings that are in a shape of crosses at the 2:20 mark where it seems he's in some kind of church, dressed in white, background white with organ pipes, as the melody transitions into a gospel-esque atmosphere. This tone in melody makes it is the best of the video for me since I enjoy some melodies from gospel music.

Now, every time the song is played on the radio I can't help think of two guys instead of a guy and a girl, which, sadly, diminishes my enjoyment of the song (once I heard it was about one-night stands it was a turn off; it was a second turn off when I learned it was about two guys).

It also doesn't really help that the Top 40 station in my city is playing his new songs -- and every time I hear one of Smith's songs I think "two guys."

Wait, what was that, Mr. Lee?


Honestly, every time. It came to a point where I'd listen to the lyrics if I haven't heard of the song before, then once it's played again some time later I'd switch it. People will probably say that I should be open-minded and get over it. I did listen to the lyrics and see how they relate to my own feelings of my love life and what not, but then reality hits me and remind me it's about homosexuals.

*reaches for radio knob and switches channels*  

Then there's "She Keeps Me Warm" by Mary Lambert who went to an evangelical church during her teenage years (they tend come from evangelical churches ... ). When I head that I felt kinda sick.

*reaches for radio knob and switches channels*

I can't forget about "Same Love" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Mary Lambert (surprise surprise), probably the piece that paved the way for airing the above mentioned songs.

Also, bing.com is a gift that keeps on giving. Besides acting as a decent search engine, it also has its own news feed at the bottom. Since this post is about same-sex relationships, bing recently let me know that actress Rachel Evan Wood has entered a relationship with a woman. Such wonderful timing. Thank you, bing.com. According to wiki, Wood was married to fellow actor Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot) no less than two years - divorcing in 2013, bearing his child. I wonder how the kid turns out.

No comments :