Tuesday, March 17, 2015

To exit and to 'out'

I never heard of now Aaron Schock (R-IL 18th District) before; it happens to be he is  the youngest GOP congressman (now ex) since 2001. My bing news feed brought him to my attention and I take that his resignation from the House of Representatives is mainly due to questionable spending for his office, other expenses and possible illegal donations for his campaign.

What I gather from quick internet searches and readings is that his main claim to fame, besides being young, good looking, in good shape, articulate and being media friendly (has an active instagram, posed for Men's Health in 2011 ) is his unusual desire to deck his office like Downtown Abbey. I'm an independent voter and I'll admit it (was) refreshing to learn of a politician who was "fresh" and not afraid to use social media to make the Republican brand a bit more digestible as compared to years ago. He also had a decent sense of style when it came to suits - gone were the clunky block suits where the cuffs showed four inches from the suit jacket, or the poorly fitted suit jackets that don many a politician. I take his resignation a hit for re-branding of the the word "Republican" despite his very questionable financial expenses. Schock also represented a district that wasn't a major metro, so I found that also refreshing. He grew up in the area and, being a bright young man, he could've said "Adios!" to his small town and elected to move to Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, the Minn-St. Paul or other cities like Seattle, NYC, Boston, Miami, LA or SF. He stayed.

Along my search to find more about him is that his media attention, besides the lavished office (which is rather bizarre to me, honestly ... Why?), is the left's almost "gonna get you" tone of his sexuality. If you asked me if I thought Schock was a homosexual if you should me a picture of him I'd say "No clue." Yes, he is unusually fit for a congressman his age. Yes, he apparently spent taxpayers dollars on "exotic" vacations, but that doesn't really tell me anything besides he's an idiot for doing so, and further gives politicians from Illinois a bad name. The only thing that would tilt my head is his decked out office (short lived) as if Wes Anderson was called to be an interior design consultant, which - okay - might make me think "Huh. Strange ... "

I'm not sure if he's being given this type of media attention because of his questionable spending and that he was a rising star in the GOP (he isn't a Tom Cotton to the media - see pic below), but I have a hunch the media is fixated on his resignation for all the wrong reasons. The MSM does a good job on keeping track of new faces within the GOP since they might pose a threat to the DNC.

               Whoa, MSM, don't make it so obvious that you don't like Republicans. Sheesh.

As I typed in Schock's name in google the first two searches that came up in the drop down menu was "Aaron Schock gay" and "Aaron Schock boyfriend." When it comes to possible search phrases, those that show up in the top half are the most typed in; people have been determined to know his sexuality for some time. Fair enough. He is a public figure that has caught the eye of those paying attention - we are curious beings. This does raise a question, though. Does it matter if the man is gay? Not really. I don't support same-sex marriage, and if he does then that's a major issue, but a person could be for such an issue regardless if one is straight or not. According to his wiki page he appears to be a social conservative on several matters like abortion and did not approve of the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell." He also did not want so-called crimes against the LGBT to be included under "hate crimes." Again, if Schock is non-straight that's okay with me. Despite many of my posts being directed at my disagreement and disgust with the LGBT community, mostly the activists, their sexuality does not deter me from any possible friendship that I might have with them. What makes me upset is media's cruel hunt to expose Schock as a homosexual because he is a Republican that opposes many modern leftist pet issues.

If any of what I typed is true when it comes to the media's treatment of Aaron Schock, shame on them.

No comments :