Thursday, July 21, 2022

What Do You Do To Enjoy A Nihilistic Night Where You Don't Have Any Responsibilities Besides Yourself?

Maybe labeling it nihilistic is too strong of a word choice. How about aimless? 

So you're off of work. No deadlines to meet. No dependents. Dog is mature enough to leave them by themselves for a few hours at home. Don't have any plans with friends or significant other. No dinner with the parents. What do you do? You don't care for indulging in culture - so no ballet, opera or a play or musical. No live music tonight. No flick at some art house theater. You don't care for any of those tonight. You don't care for going out to the bar and having a drink alone. 

You make "goals." That aimlessness slowly turns into "goal oriented", even for just a couple of hours. What are these goals? Hmmm. 

Get out of the apartment? 

Get some fresh air? 

Be around people? 

Spend some money because we're in America?

Walmart Supercenter answers all of these. Hear me out. It is culture, just not high culture or culture that is admired by Vogue, Vanity Fair or the Cannes Film Festival committee (not that they know culture anyways). 

Now people don't like Walmart for a number of reasons. It's seen as a place where America's low-income weirdos gather for toothpaste and water guns. There's even subreddit dedicate to such characters in r/peopleofWalmart. I guess you can say these people "have made it." 

The more politically correct ones usually reject Walmart because they prefer smaller shops and dimes the whole corporate monopoly thing. Okay, fair enough. I don't mind. Of course the owners being filthy rich and white doesn't help because SJWs are actually racist towards white people; SJWs are also envious people as well. I don't care if the owners are filthy rich and white. They're arguable smarter than all those SJWs. I'm not really a pro-union guy (Walmart is anti-union), so if you don't like Walmart because of their work practices then I can't say we have something in common. I just don't care that much. What I'm trying to broadcast is that I rarely make political protests with my wallet - especially for everyday items. If a Walgreens is near me I'll go there. If a CVS is near me I'll go there. If a Regal Theater is near me then I'll go there. If Baskin Robbins is near me I'll go there. If a Traders Joe is near me then I will always go there.

For me, a number of years back I found myself enjoying just perusing a Walmart Supercenter. It wasn't too late in the evening - maybe around 8 or 9pm. I was just leaning on my cart as I enjoyed the sites and sounds around me. Walmart Supercenters tend to be brightly lit and well kept. Maybe check out the grocery section. Compare the veggie prices to my local chain. Ask the Walmart employee where the stock their cheese balls. Check out the ridiculous graphic shirts they got (I once got a shirt with a cat on it). May sure you stop by the sporting equipment and bathroom aisles. Get caught up on what's trending in literature in the book aisle. 

You know, if you got a $30 bucks to spend might as well spend it at a Walmart Supercenter. You never know what you'll walk away with. 

At the Walmart Supercenter I tend to go to there's a greeter who also checks receipts once you leave. 

"Have a good night!"

"Thanks, you too!"

And besides shopping for everyday items or just perusing mindlessly in their labyrinth of aisles, I got my COVID booster shot at a regular Walmart. I waited about 20 minutes for it but nonetheless I got out within a half hour. 

No comments :