Friday, July 22, 2022

Why I don't follow any official food philosophy pertaining to morality or ethics.

 The morality and ethical arguments just aren't that convincing to me - at least on a secular standpoint. When a non-religious person says the don't eat meat and/or dairy due to some ethical plain it's hard for me to take them seriously. Most people who are vegan tend to be from US, Canada or Western Europe. You have to choose to be vegan or not eat meat - barely anyone is it naturally. Unlike the "big questions" in life, like "is there a god?", a kid is vegan like a cat is vegan - their parent or owner made them vegan. People eat meat around the world as well consume dairy. 

I'm more sorta kinda like an intuitive eater where my version of this is including foods such as dairy (cheese, cow milk) and meat, but there's also veggies, fruits and beans; as well as vegan stuff like almond milk and oat products. Since I'm open minded on food I'm more than willing to eat no meat burgers and sausages, but they're aren't going to be a staple in my food arsenal. 

You can say I'm an all inclusive eater. I limit my added sugar intake, but I have no issue eating Cinnabun or a Pop-tart if I'm craving it due to a "nostalgic" food drive one day or opt for ice cream that is made of cream and milk and sugar. It's just that I don't eat such foods every week or even every month at that. I don't buy into the premise that white flour is so bad for you that you need to stop eating it right now or else. France is renown for their bread and, guess what, they use all-purpose flour. 

I'll go as far to say that there is no true morality or philosophy on what you shouldn't eat (sorry Jews who abstain from pork). Yes, that runway model can eat salmon and meat and consume whole milk and ice cream made out of sugar, just stuff like ice cream should probably be limited to once a month. Can she run and do home exercises to keep the fat at bay? She should. 

It's the same attitude I view of alcohol. If some dumb Brit actress is going to go the pub to have a pint, yet says she's a vegetarian or vegan for "health purposes" or ethical purpose, like bitch, please. 

Food diets based on morality and ethics is literally man made morality; it's a social construct. 

No doubt if I'm preparing for a half-marathon I'm going to limit my gelato intake. Steak? Chicken? Salmon? Bring it on, especially after long runs. Beef? Sure, but it'll be a minority in my meat arsenal, though with that said I don't mind a good mince meat homemade taco during a warm summer's night or a shepherds pie on a cold Sunday night - but it just depends on what I'm preparing for as I get better as a runner.

I may limit certain foods for practical reasons - mainly health, but I never necessarily eliminate it due to some ethical or moral argument. I love barbecue, especially pulled pork, but I'll probably eat it no more than twice a year simply because I don't crave it as much as I do other foods. Eating ice cream with milk and sugar ain't gonna kill you if you eat one cup (8 oz.) once a month unless you're diabetic. If you're diabetic it's best not eat it. Sorry, I know, life's not fair. 

Just limit the process food and added sugar you eat though. That's practically the only "rule" I have. The key word is limit - not eliminate unless your body can't X or Y something that causes you to break out in hives or have a cardiac arrest right there and then. Other key word that can be used is moderation.

As they say, life's too short and variety is the spice of life. I apply this to food. 

Cousin who runs marathons and does Ironmans? Not a vegan or vegetarian. Top athlete's like Gwen Jorgensen? Doesn't really count calories but eats salmon and eggs.

Veganism and vegetarianism (heck, even the carnivore diet)? You might as well call it scientology. 


No comments :