Thursday, January 15, 2015

The 87th Acadmeny Awards Nominees: Some Comments.

Here are the nominees for 87th Academy Awards (Oscars) Ceremony, which will be held on February 22, 2015 in the Dolby Theater at the Hollywood & Highland Center.

If I were in charge of the nominations I'd substitute the following:

Best Picture - Gone Girl for The Theory of Everything, Interstellar for Selma
Best Director - David Fincher (Gone Girl) for Wes Anderson (The Grand Budapest Hotel)
Best Actor - Jake Gyllenhaal (Nightcrawler) for Eddie Redmayn (The Theory of Everything)
Best Actress -  Essie Davis (The Babadook) for Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything)
Best Supporting Actress - Carrie Coon (Gone Girl) for Emma Stone (Birdman), Kim Dickens (Gone Girl) for Patricia Arquette (Boyhood)
Best Original Screenplay - Interstellar for Boyhood
Best Adapted Screenplay - Gone Girl (by Gillian Flynn) for The Theory of Everything (by Anthony McCarten)


I was thoroughly impressed with Matthew McConaughey's performance as Cooper in Interstellar, but I'm not sure if I'd put him in my top five. Either way, it's a shame he received no notices as Cooper; not even one. If I had to choose, I'd probably substitute him for Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game. 

Emma Stone is right outside my top five, so choosing to replace her sort of bums me, so I really don't mind the nomination.

*Come to think of it, my picks for Best Actor might tempt some to call me xenophobic since I eliminated both of the nominees that are English. 

Xenophobic, sexist, racist, prudish! Ah! Whatever shall society do?

No comments :