Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Okay, I'm confused.

I consider myself as someone who's "update-to-date", for the most part, with whatever modern terms is used when it comes to sexuality. I just got done reading an article on a mother's acceptance of her child's sexuality - being bisexual. But the mother uses the word gender in a confusing way to me, as in "It doesn't matter what gender my daughter's lover is."

The way I interpret it is that by "gender" she means either male or female. Then what is "sex"when not talking about the sexual intercourse? I get the feeling that "gender" and "sex" are being used interchangeably (when did this change become universally accepted?), but another part of me gets the feeling that gender is slowly replacing the world "sex." From my memory I can recall almost all medical questionnaires asking my "gender." Then I get even more confused when people say "gender identity."  I'm clear on "gender roles" and its stereotypes - men be the breadwinner and women raises the children to men mow the lawn to women make dinner. But "sex" and "gender" when it comes to sexual identity (bi, homosexual, straight) in the context of the mother and her daughter? Color me confused.

And this stuff was talked about in my sociology class dealing with the family. Heck, I should be crystal clear on this ...

No comments :