Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Hollywood Reporter's #OscarsSoWhite Edition



Just yesterday I was banned from The Hollywood Reporter.

I was commenting on one of Scott Feinberg's articles about the recent diversity movement happening within AMPAS, and movies & tv in general. It turns out, when responding to another person, if you write "It's Scott. This is Scott we're talking here. Scott," it will issue a ban from the site. Now, I'm a little disappointed because I wanted to comment on other articles that had headlines that were straight out ridiculous in regards to #OscarsSoWhite.

#OscarsSoWhite: Why Black Films Have to Be About MLK and White Movies Can Be About a Mop Inventor (the picture is offensive)

#OscarsSoWhite: Academy Chiefs Reveal Behind-the-Scenes Drama That Led to Historic Change (Exclusive) with tagline "We Could Not Be Silent." Can you feel how serious this issue is?

Working in Hollywood When You're Not White: Three Players Reveal All with the tagline "Is Hollywood Racist? America is Racist."

Oscars' Diversity Dilemma: A Mathematical Solution to Parity in Voting played the "old, white male" voting demographic as one major reason why the nominations tend to be white. I predicted it here.

There's much to be said about these articles.

I don't know if my comment, mentioned above, was the reason I was banned since I checked my comment history, and discovered that that was the only one on HR that was removed. Whatever Scott read into my comment apparently he took it as an insult. I assume that he thought I was implying he's racist (another poster said his lack of coverage of the supposed lack of diversity in Hollywood was concerning, to which he listed links to his articles talking about it). If so, he's wrong.

I also find it amusing because it shows that movie journalists, if white, take issue of themselves being accused of racism but not the industry that creates their income. They're the non-racists ones. The producers and the suits? Racists. They  think of themselves as the white knights, the light house watching over the passing ships that sheds light into the distance to guide them. That's my guess into the minds of people like Scott Feinberg.

No comments :