Monday, February 29, 2016

I shall pray.

I will admit, I'm not much of a prayer. It escapes my memory if my parents said to me, as I seen on television on more conservative tv shows, "Remember to say your prayers," as I got into bed. I pray during mass and try my best to find meaning and reverence in the words I speak, but outside of church? Disastrous. I just never got into the habit.

I bring prayer up because I just learned that a choir member of mine, right at this very moment, is having brain surgery because of a possible blood clot due to a mild concussion. She's an elderly, mid 70s I presume. She hit her head on the microwave door (the ones above the stove) and she was found in her bathroom today unconscious by her son. Her grown children were trying to call her but she wasn't answering, and she being a widow they worried. If all goes well, I and the others in her life will know whether or not her son got to her on time.

My heart is a little heavy, a little achy and tears are forming in my eyes as I write this. Maybe this could be the sign that my prayer habit is to finally come to existence. Either way, an unfortunate "wake up call" (no pun).

Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, 
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen. 


UPDATE as of March 7th: Just a few hours ago her children unplugged her from the machine. She was in coma due to the injury to the head (1/3) and was being monitored closely. The wake will be in a couple of days followed by a possible Saturday burial.

RIP Eleanor.

No comments :