Monday, February 22, 2016

Veganism: The Cult?

Okay, to be clear I am not saying every vegan belongs to a cult or that veganism is a cult. I was watching a youtube video of a man who did a 30 day vegan challenge and ended with some positive results. Good for him. It's the comment section that made me think something was cult like.


Yep. Just decided to change to a vegan lifestyle this week. Mine actually started out of the ethical/environmental side of it. Never looking back. Glad to hear about how you benefited from being vegan for the month, and makes me more excited to keep pushing for progress in the gym! :) Good luck!
---
 I am glad you enjoyed your vegan experience! I am vegan and I appreciate your honesty on your journey If you're looking for movies to educate yourself on veganism more Earthlings, Conspiracy, Forks Over Knives, and Food Inc are all great! Also you should check out Dr. Greger AKA NutritionFacts.org here on youtube :)
 ---
 From "veganwhatnow" - Dude a step I the right direction! yey!!! You should check out "cowspiracy"!!!! OMG it is life changing!
---
Going vegan is where it is at! Glad to learn that you are joining the club, as I have felt both physically and mentally better since taking 'the plunge.' Although slow, I hope to see animal consumption go down and reduce the number of CAFOs in existence.
---
You saved probably hundreds of lives. You saved thousands of gallons of water. cut down on pollution. Check out Gary Yourofsky Best speech ever 2014. cowspiracy. and Earthlings. life changing videos.
---
omg i am SO happy right now <3>
---
Dude this is awesome news! I've only seen a few of your vids but I subbed when I saw you were doing the 30 day vegan challenge thing and I honestly didn't think you'd stick with it long term and was going to unsub as soon as you broke that news lol I do think if you try to eat vegan all the time except for challenges you will regret it, only because your body will have a bad reaction. But if it works for you and that's what you have a passion for then hell 95% vegan is better than most of the assholes who will give you shit for it! A plant based lifestyle doesn't have to be 100% vegan, just has to be majority plants! I am 100% vegan though (including all cleaners, soaps, detergents, clothing etc) and I definitely think it's the right thing for me. The energy is great and I've been making progress, and the protein is just a non issue that for some reason most omnivores do not understand!
---
I think its good your doing 90% vegan.I think if yur not ready to be 100% yet no point trying to force it.I remember been vegetarian and eating vegan four days a week and slowly built up like that.The first time I went veganthough I went overnight and after about 5-6 months I quit so from my experience I think its easier to build to it 100% and do some research.
---
So glad to hear you're at least 95% vegan! Much love! You should definitely watch cowspiracy, forks over knifes, food inc, and earthlings. :)) you should for sure educated you're self!
---
GREAT VIDEO AND CONGRATULATIONS!! people just need to try for themselves the good things of the vegan lifestyle!!
---
I got no hate for you Erik! Really think its great you tried out the other side and you see it can work / help the world and as well as other aspects of it such as for animals. If you can do 95% of the time thats better then nothing and honestly this was a massive step in different direction. Happy Healthy Vegan(check them out if you havent) did a video saying something along the lines of small steps make major differences and if thats all you can do for right now then thats great! Its been almost a year now for me of 100% in it and I will never go back! Its always great to have more chill like minded people joining the vegan life style. If it can help promote it and get others to see whats its all about then I fully support them! If anything else it shows not all vegans are crazy nut jobs like people make us out to be! I just love animals =P
---
 I totally support u on this
---
I really respect your decision because you're not letting so many people influence the life you want to live. Society is constantly pushing and pulling us to believe certain things and adopt certain lifestyles. We all deserve to choose how we want to live, and feel HAPPY with our decision!
---
I'm glad that you're so open minded to veganism!! I'm personally mostly vegan and entirely vegetarian, and I've also seen a huge positive impact in my life since making the change. If you're interested in knowing more about what happens in slaughterhouses and places of the sort, I highly recommend watching Earthlings; it's an incredibly touching movie, and I can guarantee you won't look at meat the same way afterwards
---
I'm Vegetarian. I was Vegan for about 3 years and then incorporated Dairy (Cheese, Yogurt). You are able to be more social that way. There is nothing wrong with people who eat meat if the animals are raised humanely, exercise daily and live a good happy life with a good diet. But now a days people consume disgusting amounts of meat and expose the poor animals to steroids and horrendous living conditions where they suffer daily. Don't support any fast food places and meat providers who contribute to the torture of animals. If you decide to eat meat make sure it's ORGANIC, GMO FREE AND HUMANELY RAISED.
Creepy.

Sorta sounds like people are happy because he's "coming out." Sorta sounds like these people are welcoming him into some sort of cult lifestyle.

Want more? A physician by the name of Dr. Melissa Clouthier wrote a post criticizing veganism. The comment section was filled with vegan defenders.

Apparently a commentator thinks that Dr. Clouthier is a "right-wing nut." (Her posts do not believe what the "progressives" believe in, so I guess that's a fair label.)
How is it that a chiropractor, who is a right-wing nut, who believes that vaccines cause autism, who does not accept the scientific evidence for global warming, and who believes in a god can feel comfortable calling anyone else stupid? You might want to reconsider your intellectual place in the world, Melissa, because it is not as lofty as you believe it is.
Sincerely,
Heath D. Watts, PhD (Geochemistry)
If you enter Watt's name in google one of the first results is a link to "Atheist Universe."

There's an angry dad -

Stupid meat-eaters. "Where do you get your protein?" could have been another good title of this article. I've seen ignorance before so it's easy to recognize.

My 7 year old son is a vegan and he has no issues with protein. Maybe you're healthier than 10 year olds because by age 10, kids already show signs of heart disease due to consuming food with cholesterol
Andrew Neil wrote this -

It is shocking to me that a "physician" would post such incredibly anecdotal and ignorant comments.
 First, veganism is NOT a diet. It is a philosophy. Ergo, critiquing something that is NOT a diet and to point out the shortcomings of said diet is a logical fallacy.
Vegans eat everything omnivores eat with the exception of animal products. That leaves fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and grains. However, if you were to exclude many of these items and resorted to processed and junk foods, by way of example, one would indeed become unhealthy. But this does not a vegan diet make. If one eats a whole-foods, plant-based diet, which can absolutely be a wholesome, nutritionally rich diet, one can be very, very healthy. One could call either of these a "vegan diet" but it would be equally unfair to say that our unprecedented rates of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer are a result of an omnivorous diet. There are lots of omnivores who are health and unhealthy just like vegans. So just like omnivorous diets, one can eat healthy or unhealthy, it comes down to choice and educating oneself and being responsible
Furthermore, to suggest that eating meat and dairy is a biological imperative (i.e. it is required to be healthy) is not only false and unverifiable, it is downright irresponsible.
As a vegan of 8 years, and my wife for 25 years, we are the picture perfect of health. And my physician agrees. I have no B12 deficiency for example - 15% of the population is B12 deficient, yet vegans only account for 2% of the population, ergo there are a lot of omnivores who are B12 deficient too, it is often an absorption issue. I have no "protein deficiency", my skin, energy level and general wellness are fine. Every year I get a physical and have my doctor check all the major biomarkers - everything falls within the normal ranges. My physician has no objections to my vegan diet (he is not vegan btw). I also do not take any supplements. I am 5'-11" tall and weigh 180lbs and have a perfect BMI.
And for the record, I'm the rule not the exception. Dr. Clouthier, your blog and position shows an incredible cognitive bias.




Check out Andrew's blog. The last post he wrote was entitled "Why I Am a Vegan." I will conclude the man is also an atheist by the books he has listed in his bio.

I'm sensing some strange similarities here. Here's my question: are non-religious people who spend time earning a PH.d more likely to be a vegan? That would be an interesting survey to construct.

Honestly, veganism is backwards. Why do I say this? Our teeth. The irony.

No comments :