Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Bedroom + Bible

The usual rhetoric thrown at those who support (real) marriage and abstinence, or even discourage pre-marital sex, is "keep your bible out of my bedroom." Mainly it's employed when people don't support same-sex "marriage" and instead support marriage being between one man and one woman in a monogamous relationship who then produce children. Now initially this accusation makes sense. I understand those who use such statements - they don't want to be held to a sexual standard of the "prudes," they support same-sex "marriage," and they definitely don't want to be reminded that they're sexual appetite is purely hedonistic where the reality of pregnancy is an inconvenience, so enter birth control in its various forms.

Here's what's empty about "keep your bible out of my bedroom": No one is forcing you to not have sex before marriage - if you're going to have sex you're going to have sex; if you're going to use birth control for pregnancy prevention you're going to use birth control; no one is turning to legislation to make pre-marital sex or adultery crimes; no one is calling for the reintroduction of sodomy laws. If we keep it on its literal level and be pedantic there's no law in the history of the USA saying there should be a bible in your nightstand (as if it were a hotel room).

So when people intrinsically say "keep your bible out of my bedroom" tell them the points I've typed up. It's an absolute pathetic mantra, that, when looked at critically, falls apart and shows the reactionary (ironic) reality that is libertine secularism.

In my reality, the only room that I know of that currently holds a bible is my parents room. The room I currently sleep in has the Catechesis, though I'm currently looking for a bible to put right next to it. During my university years I had a roommate who was a non-denominational Christian who had a bible on his bookshelf. I did not have one. I did some questionable things in our dorm room when he was out while the bible sat there. Did I say to him "keep your bible out of our dorm room?" No. Humans are fallen - we'll do things that are considered sins even if there is a bible nearby. Most don't even think "What does the bible say?" They just do whatever act. All this talk about bibles and bedrooms is just the human conscience of the indignant saying, "You perv. Those that you consider prudes are right." It's an outright cry of insecurity.


What's ironic about this is that the hotel room is usually used for affairs and to live out sexual fantasies. It's a place to go in order to be discrete. And there's a bible located in the nightstand drawer.

As one poster on CAF said about the US Navy banning all religious books in its guests rooms -
I have stayed in hotels/motels for many decades. If I choose to look for a Gideon's Bible, I will look in the desk drawer. If I choose to not look for one, then I don't go and look. I have never in my life felt compelled to look or to not look. I have never felt put upon by the existence of a Gideon's Bible or the lack of a Gideon's Bible.




No comments :