Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Curiosity shouldn't kill the cat.

I fail to see how being comfortable with dying suddenly makes atheism a rational proposition. I’d have to lose a lot more brain function than that to agree with atheism.
This quote I don't completely agree with. I see atheism as a somewhat reasonable position. Certainly many intelligent people through out history did not believe in God. I can understand why someone would not believe in God or why someone would question his existence - as a skeptic or agnostic. What I can't seem to grasp is the failure of people who do not really care on personally seeking if there is a divine. I'm a bit lost when someone says religion doesn't play a role in their life, as in "I don't really care." I can understand if someone was raised an atheist by non-believers or by the non-religious, that the concept of God is a strange if not absent aspect that had little to no role while growing up. It is the indifference towards seeking God - to either "disprove" or to discover the divine that's troubling. It reeks of intellectual laziness.

Whether there is a God or not is one of the fundamental questions in life that everyone should examine. The agnostics I can "get," but the apathetic people are the ones left to be slaughtered by modernism. It's fine to be agnostic after serious reflection; it's not fine to be apathetic. It's fine to not care about learning how fishes breath under water. It's fine to not care why leaves change colors when a new season enters. It's fine to not care about learning the stock market. But like any reasonable adult, curiosity and the hunger for knowledge - the hunger "to know" and "to learn" - should be present in a certain amount.

So when it comes to God, pick a side. Read. Research. Vet your sources. Write. Debate. But don't be apathetic. 

No comments :