Thursday, February 5, 2015

Academia

When I read pieces from HuffPo I tend to click on the person's bio to learn more about them and they're background. It helps me see why a certain viewpoint prevails in their mind. When I learn that some are professors, if they aren't - pursuing a doctorate, in LGBT studies, or queer theory or some other extraordinarily hot air type of niche I can't help be all like


This sort of makes me feel better about my interest in (urban) sociology and wanting to pursue a doctorate in it. (But then again sociology does have its fair share of doctorate students having interests and using funding towards the most "huh?" things -- no, not the science/math type of  "huh?" -- the "Why are you wasting money that could be spent towards a more worthy student with interests that have higher potential to impact society?" huh.)

No comments :