Sunday, February 1, 2015

Snow and its "power." Trendy stuff and its "power."

More like effect it has on me. It lifts up my soul, just a tad, when I'm feeling down or when I'm troubled. Time slows down for me.

Unlike rain.

Now onto a narcissistic, first-world "problem" of mine.

Back in December I was deciding to get new snow boots. Where I live when it snows it snows. It's not as bad, as say Minnesota, or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (U.P. for short). I went onto L.L. Bean's site to weigh my options of their heralded  "8 winter boots. I was late to the party. The size I wanted was back ordered until May. I checked other widths to see if they too were back ordered. Sure enough, they were - till April or June. It even made the news, here and here.

This sort of back order I never experienced before. I mostly order online when I can because my sizes are hard to find in a normal brick & mortar store.

Since today it's snowing it reminded me of this "problem." I re-visited the site to relive that "da fuq" moment.



I knew they were immensely popular amongst those who A) have worn them all their lives in conditions that called for it - sort of like a trusted brand in families that might stick to a certain dishwasher or washing machine or car, or B) the more fashion conscious crowd. I don't necessarily fall into the latter because I actually need these types of boots where I live; I just want to "upgrade" my old boots so I did my research which led to the L.L. Bean boot.

This back order urges me to question: Of those that do purchase them for their intended wear (snow, rain), how many purchase them that do not live in places where such boots are necessary? (I saw pictures of people wearing these in a pile of leaves, and some - obviously made for a fashion site/blog - wearing them on a bridge with no snow, rain ... Or leaves, wearing blazers. In the picture it looked like a mild 55 degrees.) So when people like me, when met with days with several feet of snow, need them they're SOL.

According to boston.com -
 Why the increase in sales? Well, blame teens and millennials.
“Younger people are buying them. They’re all over college campuses and high schools,” Beem said. “Without changing anything, they’re back in style.”


You see that little white cloud hovering over states like Illinois, Indiana and Michigan? Those are the places that actually need winter boots like the L.L. Bean boot. How many hipsters live in said states? Besides the city of Chicago, not many I bet.  States like Main and Vermont need them. The New England region? Yes. People in San Francisco? No. Seattle or Portland? Not really, unless you live in small towns that are nearer the wilderness. L.A.? No. NYC? Okay, sure. College campuses where it doesn't snow heavily during winter? You don't need them.

It's a good thing people who wear fake eye glasses don't back order the style I want. 


No comments :