Thursday, April 23, 2015

"Ew! Don't touch that!"

Food prudes, who are they? Are they the picky eaters that won't eat exotic dishes? In my mind no.

Jame Chu, owner of a San Francisco Chinese restaurant, looks like he's on the same page as me. (As beautiful as California is, the cities there just make any city in Texas look like bodybuilders. You got the "Was this organically grown?" fuckers in SF and the weed, not competitive fuckers in LA. Both cities a bubble from the rest of America, even NYC.)
Chu and his staff just got really, really tired of being asked the same goddamned questions about locally-sourced gluten-free artisanal bullshit by pretentious hipster douchebags and did what I promise you every single restaurant employee in the Western hemisphere has wanted to do at some point during their career.
Up until a few years ago I didn't really cook. After sometime in the kitchen, researching cookware and making some awesome dishes and not so-awesome dishes, I'm a bit peeved when the food fanatics (who seem that they are  more concerned about digesting organic & gluten-free food than actually having badass culinary skills and making a mean steak or "dressed up" eggs) come and ruin my party. I like to bake with flour and I like to use butter. These two, especially flour, are seen as "bad." I will agree that too much butter (think of Paula Dean saying "Now let's add the butter!" as she takes two yellow sticks as the camera zooms in) is unhealthy. It's common sense. If you eat too much white bread that is also unhealthy. It's common sense. My pizza dough is made out of unbleached white flour. As are my pancakes/waffles. As are most of my breads. I enjoy using butter when I make steak or when I eat toast.

The question all the health pussies out there might ask "How do you feel? Are you feeling like crap?" My answer: "I feel fine and no I do not feel like crap." Unless you're competing for the Olympic trials or make your living as a professional athlete I'm going to look at you as some sort of pretentious asshat when you say "studies show ... " or "I'm [insert some "too-bad-for-you" disease]" which renders you incapable of eating certain foods. I'm can eat gluten, hooray for  me. The only food allergy I have is a very mild one to almonds; besides that the food world is my oyster and "Go primal! Go green smoothie!" warriors are damn sheep that probably taste bad.

When I started using a cast iron skillet my father warned me that it was dangerous (didn't say why at first). My thought process, entirely unremarkable, was "If the pioneers used it to cook their food when they traveled west then I'll be using it. There was no evidence, no stories, of people dying of iron poisoning and whatnot." The same thing with those who say white rice and white bread, if we just avoided it -- homemade bread and rice -- we'd be a much healthier nation. I agree that eating the store bough bread is not a healthy choice; making homemade bread is healthier. I"m Asian and I eat rice. My families members back in Asia eat rice. When some bunny rabbit who bleeds to death in site of mac & cheese tells me that some scientist or nutritionist (that I don't even know or ever heard of) says that Asians have a higher percent of people with diabetes because they're eating too much white rice, you'd think this finding would splash the mainstream news warning the unwashed masses about this particular food.

The funny thing it seems these food prudes are a minority. Hmmm. Interesting. Minorities screaming the loudest.

Nutrition is important. A balance diet is important. If you truly can't eat gluten then I'm sorry, but don't damn fuck up my diet because you can't. The beauty of the health industry is that it caters on trends and fanatics -- gluten-free products are popping up around the nation to cater to gluten-free people, even if you can eat gluten. This bizarre happening, people jumping on the gluten-free train -- if I were actually gluten intolerant I'd be rather miffed towards all the posers -- kinda resembles the LGBT "you might like your own sex if you'd just be open-minded" deck of cards. As I think about this I have chills running down my spine. Now that deserves an "Ew!"


No comments :