Sunday, April 19, 2015

White People + Health

This post isn't meant to be racist or insensitive. Okay, I know what I'll say is insensitive but I don't care.

White rice has been perplexing health nuts for numerous years. Since it's considered a grain and in the health nut world that "too paranoid for their own good" white people reside in, I can't help but think to myself that this is the typical "I lived in Asia for a year and now I'm an expert on the culture" types or the "the data says there's a correlation so it must be true" types that annoy me. This stuff deserves to be laughed it. They deserve to be laughed at. These people probably run marathons, would greatly prefer to send their child to a "non-lily white" school for the sake of (ethnic) diversity and are probably - to get political - liberal if not left-leaning libertarian. 

Here's  some advice that I didn't think of after mauling over "scientific" studies: Eat a balance diet. If you make bread, no matter if it's white or brown, make it homemade. Yes, you're using flour. Bakers use flour. The French bakers use flour that you think are "totally sophisticated" after you take an instagram of your pastry filled with Nutella, and I bet if they didn't they'd go out of business. This "flour is bad," to my current knowledge, hasn't swept Europe.

As a person who eats rice I will say rice is my "friend." Flour as well since I bake every now and then. I also eat meat, eggs and beans. Heck, I don't drink coffee and coffee is said to make you live longer. I don't care. I never was raised on coffee and just because some health nut says to drink it doesn't mean I'll bow down to his "enlightenment."

The paranoid health nut - proof that the internet can either make you an idiot or, in rare cases, more knowledgeable. Don't confuse the latter with the former.


No comments :