Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Same template; Same mentality.

"Open" secularists might as well put themselves in the same victimhood group as the LGBT community. I mean, they use the same speech pattern to set the tone.

As entertainer Julia Sweeney states -
I am proud to say I am openly secular .... When I came out of the closet as a non-believer in God, the only word I knew to use was atheist - which I am, which I'm proud of - yes I am an atheist. But it was a really harsh word for a lot of people to handle, including for example, my parents who then did not feel they could speak to me for many, many months, and it was very traumatizing all around. I think if I was able to say 'I'm openly secular,' um, they just would've  heard it more differently. And I think I would've been able to explain to them how I believed and how I stopped believing in the mythology of Catholicism, and that I was embracing a different world view and they probably would've said 'fine,' they wouldn't really care. So, I love this phrase; I also love the word 'open,' because to me that says not only are you stating that you're not religious - you're open about it. It means if you tell someone that then they can tell someone else. You're openly secular - it's okay to talk about it. So I'm urging to just say you're openly secular. I really think the world would be a much better place if you did, and you'd probably be surprised on how it has an effect on other people. I had so many people come up to me  and say once I admitted I wasn't religious it gave them the feeling that they could say that. They could see I was a relatively normal person, and I was saying I wasn't religious and it was okay. So make it okay for. Just be openly secular.
I'm not sure I exactly feel about this. I mean, it just plain weird - not that Sweeney is an atheist (she's an entertainer, specifically a comedian/actress, so that's sort of expected) - but its youtube page, set by Richard Dawkins, has a  main slogan: "Changing Hearts, Changing Minds." That's kind of fucked up. You'd think being a secularist and "Changing Hearts, Changing Minds" would deal with philosophy and whatnot, but that entire page doesn't. It's just a page of "coming out of the closet."

What caught my attention, besides the slogan, were its participants. As I perused the page there were people dressed in costume, I presume these confessions were at some sort of comic-con, and there's the obnoxious ex-Viking punter Chris Kluwe (his secularism is pretty strong even before his "coming out" - if you followed his rants, a couple of years back dealing with so-called homophobia, it would be surprising if he did consider himself religious, if not 'spiritual').

Secularist Alexander Alvarez says, being inspired by comedian/actor Ricky Gervais: 
It's not we die for nothing, but it's that we have more to live for. Because we aren't dedicated to one thing; we have so much to experience; so much to engulf ourselves in that we don't have to limit ourselves in our religion, or whatever religion you set yourself in. You live oppressed in your own beliefs. You can't - it's not healthy, physically or mentally or spiritually, or whatever you believe in. It's not healthy. And that's more or less can be translated with every religion that you're in. I mean ... It's just not good for you.
That's some non-sophomoric understanding you have of religion, Alvarez. Really stimulating. Alvarez basically called for the justification hedonism - any curiosity or any tickle your mind or loins have, go for it. Now you'd think atheists, or people who follow the attitude of Alvarez, would be the most wisest and coolest people in the world. But they're not. Far from it.



No comments :