Saturday, May 9, 2015

Atari Ping Pong in Academia

The more I think of pursuing a doctorate in sociology, the more I realize that most (all) of the theses go nowhere in terms of actual impact beyond ones own comfort of knowing that it pleased the dissertation committee. A condense version of it may appear in a top level academic journal, but beyond that? All feelings.

I will also note that the chair of a prestigious program, when I heard him talk about implementing research with city and community officials to help alleviate this "Atari Ping Pong" effect, pretty much could've said that he was the chair of some non-ranked programs and I would've believed him. I am woefully not impressed with his orating skills. Roger Scruton, though not the best public speak, at least brings up immensely interesting ideas and thoughts. The chair of this top ranked program? Interesting research, but I'd rather look through his personal website, slog through his papers and watch C-SPAN than hear his voice talk about research and whatnot. Actually, I get the same effect on another professor within the same program. He's an intellectual - guy's basically 90% theory - but I feel what he actual offers is nothing truly new or "edge-cutting," and his meteoric rise in one prestigious program to leave for another is highly based on his ability to network and his prolific publishing.

I'm also worried I'd lose any common sense I have.

No comments :