Monday, April 25, 2016

I'll call it soccer while you spew anti-Americanisms.

I bet I mentioned this before, but I have many interests and hobbies that tend to be occupied by non-conservatives, if not leftists.

For example, I enjoy soccer. I support my city's professional team and I also support Aston Villa. American owner of Aston Villa, Ryan Lerner, released a statement of his departure from the English football team, wanting it to be owned by a more suitable person.

The reactions, for the most part, were rather negative - as they should be - but the anti-Americanism peaked its head. One poster on a soccer/football forum said that Americans should not be involved in the game and should just stick to rounders (our baseball version) and netball (basketball). I don't really have an issue with this, not that I agree, but it's paltry when it comes to indignation. But the poster went on. By "American should not be involved in the game" he also meant as players. Brad Guzan is an American goalkeeper currently playing for Aston Villa. He's been with the club for more than five years. He also mentions DeAndre Yedlin, the EPL rookie currently playing for Sunderland via loan by Tottenahm Hotspur. Interestingly enough he does not mention Everton's goalkeeper, Tim Howard. I can only guess the poster has something against Americans playing on teams trying to avoid regulation, as if their membership to their club has anything major to do with losing English football teams.

Others complained that Lerner's statement was the typical example of American sentimentalism. I never really payed much attention to this American sentimentality, but the tone I received from Lerner's statement was that of disappointment in himself. Whatever sentimentality came through it did not bother me. I am glad he's gone because he was at best mediocre and worst indifferent. It is the expression of a businessman becoming aware he isn't the right person for the job.

Unlike Leftists & Europeans, I actually spend time with my opposition.

As for the headline, many will correct Americans, calling us Yanks, saying, "It's football, not soccer." Look, don't "correct" the linguistic differences because it's pointless once we analyze it. If I said "It's hello, not hola or salut," I'd be deemed ignorant, rude and maybe xenophobic with jabs at me not having a passport (I do have a passport). If Cuba called baseball "stickball" or whatever I personally wouldn't give two shits, nor would I be offended. I know what they mean and I'd be curious on why they call it that - if they were to use such a nomenclature.

In the end the rules aren't different, just the name.


2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I have to remember to make popcorn the next time I decide to read the comments section of that Guardian article. The catfight going on is hilarious.

GoldRush Apple said...

@ malcolm: The Guardian comment section is consistent with broadcasting bullshit (it was a waste land when talking about Steve Mcqueen's Shame and how, supposedly, Americans were afraid of sex due it (A) being rated NC-17 and (B) M. Fassbender not being nominated for an Oscar; kinda reminds me how such people accuse AMPAS for being racist because PoC weren't nominated in the two years). The articles are proof that the writers have deep personal issues.