Saturday, April 30, 2016

What do I collect?

It's a rainy day where I reside and due to this I lost motivation to enter the outside world to finish my errands, so here I am left to think about the handful of things I collect since I was perusing through ebay.

1. college/sports pennants

I don't purchase any pennant, but the ones truly pertinent to my life, and therefore my search is quite specific. The universities I attended. My city's professional sports teams (save for the single baseball team I don't necessarily support). Out of all the things I collect pennants are my favorite. It's the history and tradition behind them that enchants me, not to mention the unique artwork that some have.


2. baseball caps

It's the same specific search that pertains to college/sports pennants. Since I wear my hat collection, if I don't completely feel comfortable wearing it outside I won't purchase it. I'm proud to say that my hat collection is quite small - I'm picky, so it helps. I know some people collect hats from every team - I don't do that, and thank goodness.


3. lapel pins & tie bars

As with the previous collections, the same rules apply on what I purchase but instead of collegiate wear, which I turn to vintage buttons, I look for vintage sports teams. I also try to purchase patriotic pins that were made in the USA, which are rare.

Tie bars are unique. They're like a watch for the tie. I can have more leeway with these so I'm not too particular on what's clipping my tie, that it just "looks good."

4. ties

I'm a sucker for ties, especially bow ties. Yep. Bow ties. I think they're awesome and I occasionally wear them in less formal situations, say on a date or just for the heck of it. Before the t-shirt became an American staple, a shirt and tie was the fashion norm.

One of my professors wore bow ties, relatively young, and I was inspired by him to wear one during commencement (which I didn't give two shits about - I just wanted to get the hell out of dodge to start my post-undergrad life) since I wanted "something different." Enter the bow tie. I haven't looked back since.

My long-ties tend to be solid colors, if not tartan, with the occasional dots (the same pattern goes for my bow ties). I don't wear regiment ties because I don't have any connection to British regiments. I absolutely avoid paisley.

Patriotic ties? Sure, I got a couple, it's just I don't wear any tie that has the American flag on it.

Speaking of patriotic/holiday ties, I'm the guy that walks into a bar on St. Patrick's Day with a green bow tie and asks for a Guinness. It's a good excuse to wear a bow tie, but even better to enjoy a fine stout.

I can't say I collect shoes because most of my shoes are purchased for practically reasons. I don't buy shoes I don't wear; there has to be a purpose for each or else I won't shell out my credit card. I'm all for well-made footwear so my shoes will be well-worn and loved before they're given to Goodwill.

5. playbills

Believe or not I'm a musical fan. My brother got me into them when I was a wee little boy. The first musical that got me enchanted was Annie and then Les Miserables. I sort of fell out of the fascination until I saw my brother perform in high school musicals.

The playbills aren't relegated to musicals, but it expands to plays, operas and ballets as well. I'm more of a play goer, though, if I had to choose between a musical or a play, with Arthur Miller and Tennessee Williams producing some of my favorites.

6. movie tickets

I tend to save my stubs and I'm currently thinking of moving them from a stub specific binder to one of these.

Now I have thought of vinyl records, and I may start a collection in the near future.

When I was younger I use to collect comic books. Since then I outgrew them, at least the wanting to collect. I still admire the talent that's needed to make them. I remember being so fascinated with the characters in comic books that I made my own "superheroes," each with their own special power.

I mainly concentrated on comics that focused on Gambit, my favorite X-Men, and Superman.

For whatever reason I was drawn to the 1990s Superman comics. I believe it had to do with the color palette.


A deeper meaning to my collection

The only thing that can be deemed fragile are my pennants. Gosh darn, every time I move I want those secured and safe. Not to mention that encasing pennants is an expensive process. I'm either met with (A) not caring that much about the condition as they age or (B) being anal about their care when I pack my bags. I mean, some of them cost a pretty penny and would be considered collector items let alone heirloom pieces. 

 In fact, I want all of my collections to be worth some sentimental value when I pass away (not including the movie stubs), whether it be to someone else who arrives at my place to see what the old man has after my funeral, or to my kids and their kids.

It's always interesting to see heirlooms being used and/or being cherished and saved by a man's offspring and their lineage. It's like an old American flag on a mantle or a safety razor being used by a grandson. That sort of stuff, that type of reality.

No comments :